Competency Management Consulting
Improve Individual & Organizational Capabilities
Competency Management Methodology
PetroSkills' project plan will provide a comprehensive approach to Competency Assurance
Step 1: Project Kick-off
- A kick-off meeting will be held with the designated Company Representatives.
- PetroSkills will present a project plan and will specify the roles, responsibilities, and timelines to ensure a smooth and effective process throughout this project.
- Company will confirm the Disciplines, Roles, and employee numbers for Workshops.
- The PetroSkills Competency Assurance Methodology will be demonstrated and followed throughout the project.
Step 2: Job Competency Model
Working with Company Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), PetroSkills competency consultants will:
- Identify and review the PetroSkills CMAPs for applicability
- The CMAPs are the foundation to create tailored Job Competency Profiles (JCPs) for the required disciplines
- Use a proven and systematic Training Needs Analysis, where the objective is to distinguish the relevant Skill Groups, Skills and Competencies applicable to each job role, including the skill proficiency levels required.
- Within each Workshop, the Job Level Requirements (JLR) will be developed to provide the exact framework needed for each of the job roles within project scope.
- Once initial JLRs are defined and captured, the results will be transferred to the competency management system.
Step 3: Competency Management System Setup and Training
- The COMPASS software will be established on a hosted server, accessible from any Internet capable PC with a unique URL such as https://xyz-compass.com.
- PetroSkills will then configure the COMPASS system with the JLR output. Each designated employee will be assigned a job role within the Compass system. Each job role will also have specific development resources that have been identified either by the company or PetroSkills.
Step 4: Roll-out and Implementation
- Key documents such as Program Governance and the supporting RACI will be finalized at this time. A communication plan will also be developed to facilitate the roll-out.
- Workshops will be held with company staff to introduce the competency assessment process and explain the value that competency assurance can bring to all parties.
- Those within the organization holding a supervisory role will attend a more involved Workshop to prepare them for the tasks of supporting their staff.
- PetroSkills will supply companion resources such as Quick Reference Guides to ensure employees have easy access to handy information.
Step 5: Employee Self-Assessments and Supervisor Assessments
- Self-Assessments are conducted with the COMPASS software and will be facilitated as an integral part of the overall Employee Assessment process. In this activity, the Employee provides evidence as best they can to support their self-assessment.
- In the first instance of login in it is suggested that the Employee utilize the Quick Assess feature – this allows rapid assessment at the expense of collecting more detailed information.
Supervisor assessments will also utilize the COMPASS software. Those who are authorized to assess the competency of the employee will be able to see the Self-Assessment as well as any supporting evidence the employee may have added to the system, then make their corresponding assessment. As well as the Quick Assess feature, Supervisors may wish to use the more detailed screen, where they can access more information and functions.
Gap Analysis and Report
- COMPASS now contains the desired competencies for each employee, and the corresponding assessment of current competence. A gap analysis for each employee is immediately available to employees and supervisors. The gap analysis contains the recommended development activities to address competency gaps.
- The choice of the competency gaps to close and the development activities to pursue can be added in COMPASS as part of the Individual Development Plan.
- The PetroSkills SME will review the Development Plans with each employee and their manager/supervisor.
Step 6: System Training
- There are several components to this phase, which will touch every employee in scope. PetroSkills will deliver a combination of workshops and documentation that will explain the benefits to the employee of competency assurance and give them training in the Compass software as they commence their self-assessments.
- Cross assessments will complete the cycle, with Compass able to highlight differences to allow a focused discussion between employee and their supervisor, trainer/assessor or mentor.
Valuing Competency Efforts
How do you quantify the value of Competency Development & Assurance? This video series delivers key insights into managing skill and competency development as an investment to be managed rather than a cost to be controlled.
Quantifying the Value of Membership in the PetroSkills Alliance (Video)
Quantifying the Value of Competency Development – Approach 1 (Video)
Quantifying the Value of Competency Development – Approach 2 (Video)
Quantifying the Value of Competency Development – Approach 3 (Video)