Overview of the Petroleum Industry - eLearning Course
About the Course
This online course provides the participant with an understanding of basic petroleum technology in the context of the Petroleum Value Chain, from exploration to abandonment. The participant will understand how and when geoscience and engineering professionals use technology to find, then determine and optimize the economic value of an oil and gas field. This enables the participant to maximize their professional and administrative contribution in their organization.
Duration: Approximately 20 hours of self-paced, online work.
This course was previously titled "Basic Petroleum Technology Principles - BPTP"
Target AudienceThose who need to achieve a context and understanding of E&P technologies, and the role of technical departments in oil and gas operations. An understanding and use of oilfield terminology is developed.
You Will Learn
- The E&P Process and how it differs in conventional vs unconventional plays, the role of each technical department and specialist, and the technologies used
- The economic value and properties of reservoir fluids
- Petroleum geology for exploration and production
- About oil and gas reservoirs, both conventional and unconventional, and understand the key differences
- Exploration and appraisal technologies
- Drilling operations for exploration, development and production
- Production - well completions and production technology
- Reservoir recovery mechanisms through primary, secondary, and tertiary recovery
- Surface processing of produced fluids
This course is comprised of the following skill modules (Approx. 3-4 hours each):
- E&P Industry & Asset Life Cycle
- Petroleum Geology
- Hydrocarbon Reservoirs
- Rock & Fluid Properties
- Surface/Subsurface Exploration
- Drilling Operations & Well Completions
- Production Operations